In my last post we discussed what Hygge is and why you should incorporate it into your life. Now that we officially have snow on the ground here in Montana, I feel like Hygge is even more important to learn about, and begin applying to your life!
Candle-lit rooms, fireplaces blazing, comfortable blankets, and hot drinks all seem to be pretty basic life-things. But once you learn what Hygge is, it becomes hard not to view those things as the delightful treasures they truly are.
I had a conversation with a friend after she read my first post and she said “Growing up in Boise area there’s a lot of cool vibes down there. In particular, there was this coffee shop called The Flying M. Still to this day I haven’t found a coffee shop that has the same vibe or came anywhere close to it. There were always local artists selling their art and home roasted coffee beans, daily.. And an atmosphere that made you feel right at home.” and I honestly cant think of anything more Hygge than that. That’s what it’s all about.
While learning about the concept of Hygge and why you need it was a great start, I want everyone to come away from this with a good idea of how to incorporate it into their daily lives. If you’re lucky enough to get your hands on The Little Book of Hygge, you’ll find this delightful little page in there called The Hygge Manifesto.
The Hygge Manifesto is an amazing info graphic containing the basic stepping stones to bringing Hygge into your life. I wanted to elaborate a little bit, and add more description to the 10 main concepts of Hygge.
Make day-to-day activities more Hygge:
Want to make your life more Hyggelit? I know I do. Here are some basic ways to make every day activities cozy, warm, comfortable and relaxing.
Sitting in your bedroom or living room on your computer?
– Light 3-15 candles, it instantly makes a room more warm.
– Plug in that Salt Lamp, don’t have one? You’re missing out.
– Turn off those main over head lights and crank up that fireplace if you have one.
– Grab a blanket, some pillows and some socks or slippers.
– Turn on Pandora, I suggest The Lumineers, Hozier, The Postal Service, or Death Cab for Cutie Radio.
– Been scrolling aimlessly for too long? Ditch the computer and pick up a book, you wont be sorry.
Having dinner with friends or family?
– Opt for a night in! It’s more relaxing and personable.
– Play a game! Nothing is more Hygge than laughing with loved ones.
– Encourage comfortable attire, and make your home more welcoming. (Candles, hello!)
– Serve warm, hearty food and hot drinks. Attempt to create a beautiful table scape.
Going out for a coffee or lunch date?
– Find a local cafe with a great vibe, they’re out there, no matter where you are!
– Bring a book or a friend and just relax. Don’t rush through your coffee or meal, this is an experience!
– Find a spot with great lighting. String lights, big windows and a rustic feel. Bonus points if they play great music.
– Order a pastry or two, I bet you deserve it.
– Chat with strangers! Sometimes they have really neat or funny things to talk about.
– R E L A X
There are ways to make just about any situation more Hygge. (Minus like, Emergency Rooms and Dentist Offices).
Hygge is a way of life. In all instances, seek out a way to make these instances more comfortable.
Hygge is about creating fond memories, having a good time with loved ones, and enjoying every single moment. It’s about great lighting, good food, and feeling comfortable and safe. Hygge is everything comfy, cozy, relaxing and warm, and it’s absolutely wonderful. I encourage you to live your life in a way where you’re always searching for Hygge, because it’s a truly delightful way to live.
How are you going to start incorporating Hygge into your life? Buy some candles? Call up your old best friends for a night in? Invest in a salt lamp or a new cozy blanket? Wherever you start is perfect, because you’ll notice a difference right away.
So go on, get! Get your Hygge on. And don’t be embarrassed to say the word (HUE-GUH). The more you talk about Hygge, the more normal it becomes… and you’ll intrigue and inspire everyone around you!
Did you miss Part One? Find it here:
HYGGE: PART 1 – WHAT IS HYGGE AND WHY DO YOU NEED IT IN YOUR LIFE?